Thursday, July 8, 2010

Re-Alignment: My Life Appreciates You

As I cruise down the highway in my car, every once in a while I notice there is a need for my car to be re-aligned. Really this is about adjusting the proper orientation to line up in the right relationship that my car needs to run smoothly. IT means technically that if in alignment it will last longer. What I also realize as I race through life is sometimes I need to pull to the side and I need to RE-ALIGN my self. That is I need to adjust into proper relationship or orientation so I can be most effective. I have signs that tell me I am in need of realignment. They include laziness, exhaustion, sarcasm, quick to anger, tiredness, and pure lack of energy. These are like the gas light in my car that goes on its time to refuel. These act as signals to pull over, realign myself by choosing some form of activity like quite time, exercise, reading, solitude, a run by myself, a date with my wife, or special hangout time with my kids. I need a realignment every so often. It is good for the soul and state of mind. Sure I have things that keep me aligned, but every once in awhile there is a need to take care of myself. I have certain parameters that I put in my life to help me keep balanced, and every once in awhile something can derail me from that balance. Some of the tools I use to keep me balanced are a weekly schedule, a 6 x 6 project list, a Life Plan, a calendar system, and relationship with peoples. Just like a car which can pull to one side at even low rates of speed, I can find myself getting off track. This leads to wanting to lash out at everyone and everything that gets in my way. But more often than not, I am my best gauge for deciding when realignment is necessary. Recently I decided realignment was necessary-and let me tell you, afterwards I felt like a new man. So, what about you? What areas of your life do you need to think about realigning? Re-alignment in my life helps me appreciate life, loved ones, and time much more. So my advice to you is get realigned-it is a life lesson I have learned that is necessary for me to be at the top of my game as a husband, dad, friend, pastor, son, bro, leader, and coach.

No comments: