Wednesday, August 31, 2011

How Will They Remember You?

Every once in a while, I will catch myself in a moment of regret. It normally plays out like this: One of my kids does something really lousy, not necessarily on purpose, but it creates a reaction from me. My initial reaction can be one that lasts no more than three seconds, but it leaves an impression. I'm trying to create an atmosphere where my kids will remember me for the fun-loving, playful dad that I can be, not the one who on occasion can lose my cool, at the hit of a sister, sass of a mouth, or a complete accident. As my kids get older, their memory of me will be chiseled into their minds for good. I want to make sure that is one that is a positive. Yes, discipline still has its place and they may dislike me for it at times. But, the quick tempered, short fuse, can be a detriment to my long term relationship with my kids.
How about you? What impression do you leave on those around you when the cookie crumbles, the sandcastle gets washed away, or life brings you a mess you didn't need or expect? I know it would be easier to punch something, yell, react, or even honk your horn. What I do know is that there are eyes on you, when you react with people around. Adults or kids, it doesn't matter. Self Control is a fruit of the Spirit, and I find myself daily asking God to give me it. I'm not going to make excuses of why I may react the way I do at times, but I will make an effort to try and live my life as an example to my kids.

No comments: