Monday, December 12, 2011

What are you Called to do?

As a kid, I knew I had a calling. It included a fast car and a race track...then that was interrupted by a pigskin and pads playing on grass...then I figured why not a leather ball and a court. What was happening was that I was looking at what I wanted to do, not what God really had for me. God got my attention by bringing people into my life that did not know each other, but each had a word for me, about what God had been stirring in my heart. When God needs to get your attention, He will go about it in amazing ways. God has called me simply "To communicate God's word, to equip, empower, and encourage a generation to a real relationship with Jesus Christ. I am called to to use my leadership, influence, and friendship to inspire authentic faith." As I write this I think of Paul, who knew his calling too. Paul lived, breathed, slept, and awoke every day to the call of God on his life. Paul did everything he could possible to attain God's call in his life. He didn't jog toward it, he owned a fierce determination to press ahead. As a matter of fact Paul uses a phrase in Phil. 3:12, "I follow after". This is a fierce word that in Gk literature means to track down, hunt, pursue, as a hunter would its prey. It carries the connotation of hunting down something and will stop at nothing until it is caught. Paul uses the same verbiage to discuss his passion for God's calling on his life. Paul uses this phrase to describe his desire, which was modeled by Jesus Christ. Paul did what he was supposed to, it took determination and hard work. It took concentration and full attention teamed with the Holy Spirit to find, accept, and live his calling. So, do you know what you are called to do? Are you willing to put in the hard work to make it happen? Take action and get to it, it is not too late to fulfill the calling in your life. God has a plan for your life. Engage with God today and let God speak to your calling? helpful hint: be ready to listen!

No comments: