Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Princess Date


This past week I took my 4 year old daughter, Ella, on a date. We went to her fave spot, Starbucks (what have we created). These type of activities are special outings in our family. They happen on a regular basis, not too frequent to take away the specialty of them, or too far a part to forget how fun they are. This week Ella was bummed that the 'bucks had run out of banana bread, her fave. So, she settled for a cookie and hot chocolate. We sat and talked about life. I love the mind of little kids. They say the funniest things, think the craziest ideas, and far more creative than any adult. She told me about her pink Toyota Forerunner she wants to drive, how she wants to help people, and how she really isn't interested in marrying anyone right now. It was quite a fun conversation. For me it was special because I got to spend time with one of the most important people in my life, my little girl. She asked me questions and as I sat there, I realized in a few short years she'll be out of the house, all grown up, and I will have wondered where the time went. I value these times with my kids, and quality time is my love language. I had fun on this princess date, and can't wait until the next one. If you are a parent, no matter what the age of your kid, it is always good to get in their world and talk. Some parents think they do a great job, but in reality they suck at it. As a former pastor working with students, it was the number one complaint of students. You may think your kid doesn't want you around, but the truth is they want to be heard, loved, and talked too. So dads...moms... think about it, would a date with your little princess or prince, be such a bad thing? NO!

No comments: