Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Goals for Life- 18 years later!!

This past week, I went through a box that my parents delivered to me from their garage. In this box were trophies, some old assignments, and binders from school, and leadership materials. I happened upon a list of goals that I wrote out September of 1992. This was heading into my Senior Year of High School. I have always been goal oriented as it has helped me aim for targets in my life. As I looked through the list they were broken into the following categories: physical, spiritual, leadership, and personal. The goals included some of the following: to have a great Senior year in basketball, finish in the top 3 of my class, get a 4.0, do devotions daily, make new students feel welcome to the school, be a leader in my youth group, and a few more that were both classic and fun to re-read. As I reflected on these goals 18 years later, it was fun to see what was accomplished and what was not. The 4.0 did not happen, but I have to admit-my senior year of high school was super fun. I did finish in the top 3 of my class, and my basketball season as a team-sucked, as an individual was good enough to get some league recognition-but the team was what mattered to me. I was a leader in my youth group and eventually led as the pastor the same one-8 years later. Goals still play a role in my life all these years later. As a matter of fact some of these goals have morphed over time, but the underlying point behind the goals still stand today. I want to give my best, I want to love people, I want to continue to spend time in God's Word, and I want make sure that health is a priority in my life, so that I may do what God has intended me to do for a long time.
I'm a family man now...I have a beautiful wide, amazing kids, and responsibilities as the leader of my home. I hope I can instill in my kids and my friends the drive that keeps them aiming for excellence. Goals in life are grand, once you accomplish them there are new ones to thinkk of. 18 years after writing that list it gave me a flash back, and also a reminder to flash forward with a list of new goals to aim for. GOALS- do you have any? Are they written out anywhere, or stuck in the back of your brain? Now is a good time to write them out! (and keep them in front of you)

No comments: