Thursday, October 15, 2009

Epilepsy: How it all Began- A Brain Surgery Countdown

The year was 1990, and my family was at Red Robin. My dad, mom, and two younger sisters were enjoying a family night out. My mom noticed my behavior change for a minute, where I went into a zone, and what I recall was more like a dizzy spell, where everything went into slow motion. Didn't think anything of it, and went on with life as a high school freshman. For a while doctors struggled to get a grip on what was happening to me when slow motion started. After a few appts, they finally came up with a diagnosis-epilepsy. Not a word I really wanted to hear or attached to me. After all, I was a 14 year old kid, who had a bright future ahead of me. I was a starter on the freshman basketball team and pulling down a 4.0 GPA. So, they took me in and scanned my brain. They didn't find a thing, well a brain and some cells, but nothing to be too concerned over. They put me on some light meds and off I went to live my life. Live it, I did. For the next 4 years, high school was all it was supposed to be...sports, dances, friends, homework, a job, girlfriends, leadership, church, and a license to drive. Through it all nothing stopped me from becoming the normal kid who lived life to the fullest, enjoying every opportunity to be the center of attention. Although, through it all these dizzy spells would not go away. The medication helped, a little. Life happened and I enjoyed every minute of it. There was only one or two times I remember really being affected by these dizzy spells and both took place on the basketball courts. Once when I didn't have the ball, and once when I did. Easy enough to call a timeout and tell coach to take myself out of the game. Nothing major. At 16 I passed my driving test with flying colors and within days of turning 16, was driving a red Plymouth Barracuda all over. No complaints, except for these dumb little dizzy spells every once in a while.
High school ended and it was off to college. Being on my own was going to be freeing, rad, and one of the most exciting times in my life. Stay tuned as I bring you the college life rundown of life as an epileptic.

No comments: