Thursday, December 17, 2009

Don't Worry...Choose Not Too

When I was in junior high there was a catchy tune called Don't Worry Be Happy, sung by Bobby McFerrin. It was an 80s one-hit wonder. The song had a catchy tune and a great video that made it a success. Bobby McFerrin though, eventually got tired of singing it though. It actually caused him to fret. An encouraging word came to me today regarding WORRY. In the books of Matthew and Luke, Jesus encourages us not to worry. Worry is defined as follows: to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret. In the book of Psalms the writer encourages us that the Lord is a refuge to the oppressed. A "stronghold" where we can find comfort. The passage goes onto say, "Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you." The last portion of that verse is an amazing thought to let sink in. I know times can be tough, and life's situations can be challenging, confusing and/or demanding. But it is through these times we can find strength and grow in ways we never thought we could. When we take the efforts and attitudes in which we can so easily worry, and turn them into attitudes of faith and opportunties to grow, we will not worry. Here is a great prayer to close out this thought...
Gracious Father, thank you for the many good and perfect gifts you have given me.
Thank you for the family I have, the resources you have provided and the doors of opportunity you have opened to me. I rejoice in the way you have given a reason for living.
Today, I choose to exchange my worry for worship. I choose to trade my sorrows for singing.
I choose to replace my anxieties for assurance.
I choose to believe that you will protect, provide and promote me today.
I choose to believe that you will turn my burdens into blessings.
In the name of the one who is called, Prince of Peace, JESUS!

No comments: