Thursday, December 10, 2009

The MEANING of the INK

This past week I sat in the chair of a tatto artist and got myself inked. It was something I have wanted to do for a while. I wanted to make sure that the ink was meaningful and a constant remider of something I value forever. I decided I would ink my arm with something that God has done for me. It was important to me to be able to have a conversation starter from my ink as well. As I approached the 10 year anniversary of my brain surgery to remove a tumor, and the 10 year of being seizure free-I had made up my mind. I would ink my arm with the original Hebrew letting that declares "THE LORD WHO HEALS". This is the name of God that is known as Yahweh Rophe, found in scripture in Exodus 15:26. Above the lettering, you will find a crown of thorns, which carries another meaning for me. It is symbolic of the ultimate healing that Christ took to the cross for my sin and healed me. I had met with Matthew, my tatoo artist a two weeks earlier, and got my design which I was stoked about. Someone over prepared and over-psyched me for the pain factor, which I found to be very minimal. I did get a little weak in the first ten minutes, but nothing a glass of water and a few chocolates took away. It wasn't that bad for a guy who hates needles. So, the ink now has a permanent place on my right arm(the side of my brain scar). It will now be a constant reminder that I serve a God who has completely healed me, and I will be reminded every time I flex my right gun in the mirror.

No comments: