Wednesday, February 25, 2009

dot.comm(UNITY)

It is amazing to me how fast the dot.commUNITYs are taking off. I am one of 170 million people on one of the social networks, and I have quite a few friends (and yes I know them all). Recently I had an old friend contact me, I hadn't seen him since elementary school, 21 years ago-pretty WILD! One thing I have learned is that my ability to connect with people is way better in person than over the computer. I don't have to decipher between how to read a person in most face to face convo's, as I do many a times in online exchanges. I have also found true community comes with a group of people who can sit down and talk life in a fun, real, long drawn out, or even short convo. I do love the social networks that give me a chance to connect with friends I haven't seen for a while, or for that matter live over 500 miles away. But nothing beats sitting down for a coffee or a good talk with a friend. As a matter of fact, I need to do it more. Friends are one thing in life, I can't live without. (I'm a high "I" on the DISC) That being said, think about your online friends, and if you have access to taking one out for coffee(or a milkshake if you aren't into coffee) and have a really good conversation that is not "online surfacey", pick up the phone now and make that happen. dotcommUNITY happens best face to face and over a period of time, not online in a few sentence exchange. So, make the most of your friendships and hang with the people you call friends.

No comments: