Monday, February 8, 2010

Life & Ministry Lessons- Sustainability

I am grateful to have people around me that encourage me in my faith and build me up when I need it most. These people are called SUSTAINERS. They give me support and strength and sometimes don't even know they are doing it. The word SUSTAIN is found in the Bible multiple times and is used to show God's given support and strength. It also speaks to the want and ability to walk with us through difficult times. I am big on the idea of having these people in my life, and I am even bigger on having God be the ultimate sustainer through trials and tribulations. In my life I have seen plenty of trials. This past week, our Pastor announced his resignation from the church he has led for 10 years. This left many of our church community with many different feelings. The beauty of our church is there are those raised in the church tradition and those who are new Christ followers in the last 8 years. One group who has been there done that, and for others this transition brings many questions. As we begin to walk through this transition as a community, this is a word of encouragement to any life situation that you need understanding of. The one thing that we can hold onto is the SUSTAINING power of GOD. Through scripture we see some great passages that use phrases found in Ruth 4:15- He will renew your life and sustain you…; Psalm 3:5- I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.; Psalm 18:35-You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.;Psalm 54:4- Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me. Psalm 55:22-Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall. Psalm 119:116-Sustain me according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed. Isaiah 46:4-I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you..
These passages bring hope to my future and I know God will see me through. His sustaining power is more comforting than anything, and as you walk through life's valleys, know you can call on one who sustains you through them. As you read this be reminded that life will bring you ups and downs, and God will sustain you as you call upon Him. I learned early on that I cannot rely on myself, nor should I rely on others all the time. I choose to carry the words of scripture with me that encourage me and remind me of God's ability to SUSTAIN! Sustain through any thing big or small. Apply this to your life this week, as you reflect on how God has sustained you or maybe how God will continue to sustain you through a new adventure.

No comments: