Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Life & Ministry Lessons 101- Discernment

I have found that life brings you to a place sometimes where insight and understanding are learned and needed. Life brings "situations" that are sometimes welcomed and sometimes not. I have learned that my first response to open my mouth and say something is not always the appropriate time, or what I have to say is not always going to be received the way it was intended. I will admit my inner response to sometimes punch someone in the face would not be that well received either. Throughout my 14 years in ministry there is one area that has been a growth area for me; not just in ministry but in 34 years of life...as a husband, dad, brother, son, friend, student, coach, and neighbor. That growth area is DISCERNMENT. It is a word found numerous times in scripture and can be defined as-God given insight and understanding for life. Throughout the WORD you will see kings, prophets, and apostles ask for it, pray for it, and use it. I love the use of it in Proverbs where it is related to learning and gaining knowledge. If I can continue to discern my initial reactions to events, people, and concerns, then I will be a better person for it. I, too, pray that I can have a discerning spirit when God is trying to get me to gain insight with every situation, or comment needing to be said and heard, or whether it is my kid vying for my undivided attention. It is something that I have had to grow in, and I count it as a life & ministry lesson. Here are some key places in scripture that are worth reading as I challenge you to put into action the use of discernment:

1 Kings 3:9
So give your servant a discerning heart…

Psalm 119:169 (NLT)
O Lord, listen to my cry; give me the discerning mind you promised.

Proverbs 1:5
Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance-

Proverbs 15:14
The discerning heart seeks knowledge,

Daniel 2:21
He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them.
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.

Hosea 14:9
Who is wise? He will realize these things. Who is discerning? He will understand them. The ways of the LORD are right; the righteous walk in them, but the rebellious stumble in them.

Philippians 1:9-10
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ,

Meditate on these verses and let this life lesson soak in today.

A Prayer for YOU
Father you know all things and you do all things well.
In spite of the mountain before me, I know I can over come it with your help.
I will lift my voice in worship to you.
I pray today, that I will have a discerning heart.
I ask that you will give me insight to make good decisions.
I pray that I will know the truth and that I will walk in wisdom.
Continue to bring healing and hope in the days ahead.
In the might and powerful name of Jesus, Amen!

No comments: